Gluten Free (Can be made Dairy Free and Soy Free)
This delicious zucchini-based dish is one made by my mother-in-law. She is a extraordinary cook with a lot more experience in the kitchen than I do. Don’t worry, she gave me permission to use this recipe!! Enjoy!
Spicy Courgette Soup
- 4-6 medium courgettes, peeled, seeded, and cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 large tomato, chopped or 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 teaspoons gluten free soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle powder, or to taste
- Fresh or dried dill to garnish
- Additional salt and pepper to taste
Precook courgettes in boiling water until soft, then drain, leaving a small amount of water in the pot.
Split into 2 (or more) batches and place in the blender. Alternatively, you can use a stick blender.
Add salt, chopped onions, garlic, soy sauce, and tomato or ketchup to the blender and blend until smooth and creamy, about 1 minutes.
Transfer to the pot. When all courgettes are blended, return to low heat to continue cooking.
Add red wine vinegar, allspice, cumin, coriander, and chipotle powder. Allow flavors to blend by cooking another 10 minutes on low heat.
Adjust seasoning to taste, adding more salt if necessary.
Serve with a dollop of sour cream (or leave out for dairy free!), and dill for garnish.