Easy to do!
Gluten free! Dairy free! Soy free!
This is an easy-to-do recipe for a “safe for everyone” pumpkin pie. Thanksgiving can be a chore, when food intolerances and allergies get in the way. How do you keep everyone happy while not working your behind off in the kitchen?
Gluten + Dairy Free Pumpkin Pie
- 1 ⅓ cup gluten free flour. (I use a mixture of Buckwheat ~40% / Rice ~40% / Sweet Rice ~20%)
- About ½ cup coconut oil, while solid
- About 8 tablespoons ice water
- 2-3 tablespoons sugar
- Pumpkin pie spices (cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg, allspice)
- Organic Pumpkin Pie Mix – 15 oz.
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Pumpkin pie spice (cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, allspice)
- First things first, let’s start preparing the crust. Add flour, salt, sugar, and pumpkin pie spices to a mixing bowl.
- Add coconut oil, and mix together with a wooden spoon or clean hands. I found hands to be a bit easier, as I have more control over what I’m doing.
- Add ice water, a little bit at a time. You will notice everything starts to stick together. You don’t want it to be too wet. Add just enough that everything sticks. Once you form a round ball, move on to step 5.
- Place in refrigeration for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Oil your pan for the crust. Dust the pan with flour over the oil. The pie will stick less!
- I like to form the crust RIGHT in the dish. You can roll it out if you wish. Make sure you do it over flour. Adding extra oil to your hands and the outside of the ball of dough will help. If you choose to do it my way, make sure your hands and dough are oily! “Pancake” the dough in your hands slightly. Place into pan, and press slightly. The dough may crack a bit, don’t worry! Just pinch it back together. Once your happy with the shape of the crust, we can move on to the filling.
- Mix pumpkin pie puree, eggs, oil, vanilla extra, salt, and pumpkin pie spices into a bowl and mix.
- Once fully mixed, pour into crust.
- Bake for about 60 minutes, or until a filling keeps it’s shape when stuck with a knife. My trick? When I smell it, it’s usually ready!
- Place on counter to cool.